Agriculture/ Education/ Disaster
Mid and Far-West of Nepal is a potential area for the agriculture and raising of income for the marginalized community and farmers. Agriculture is the most important to uplift the livelihood of marginalized communities. Hence BASE is implementing agriculture program in its’ working districts with aim to increase the income of marginalized community and improve their lifestyle. Currently BASE is implementing agriculture program in ten districts of the project area (Darchula, Baitadi, Dadeldhura, Doti, Kailali, Dailekh, Surkhet, Bardiya, Banke and Dang).
BASE forms farmer groups and assists farmers through agriculture program to diversify into high value crops (HVC) by establishing market linkages; providing capital for inputs and improved technology; and for building post-harvest value chain infrastructure including production, storage, packaging, grading and processing. BASE organizes various types of capacity building trainings for farmers, line agencies, partners, suppliers and market planning committee to enhance their skill and knowledge regarding eco-friendly agriculture technology, agribusiness training, business plans for producing and adding value, Integrated Pest Management (IPM), nursery operator and management training, market management training, leadership and good governance training, participatory market chain approach and pre and post harvesting training. Support also is provided to cooperatives, farmer groups and agribusiness enterprises to increase their incomes, economic viability and livelihoods of farmers.
BASE is working as a national NGO and provides support to the District and Regional NGOs for their capacity development in social mobilization of farmer groups, cooperatives and agribusiness enterprises, provide project awareness and training programs, develop production and marketing plans for farmer groups and provides technical support for the production and their subsequent marketing. BASE also develops community business facilitator, local service provider, support and strengthen market planning committee, support for technology of micro irrigation and support for essential oil crops. The farmers are not paid well for their products due to small quantity of produced goods and lack of their linkages with the buyers. Further the farmers are not paid well also due to the lack of both the supply of processed commodities and value addition. So BASE is playing vital role in providing favorable environment to the farmers to address these problems.
• Training delivery and capacity building of farmers and concern line agencies
• Farmer group formation and management
• Cooperative management and strengthening
• Financial support to cooperatives, farmer groups and agribusiness enterprises
• Develop crop calendar for commercial vegetable production
• Commercial pocket demonstration and IPM technology demonstration
• Support for demonstration of Distillation Unit (DU) enterprises in private and community level
• Nutrition education class conduction
• Develop nutrition based IEC materials and distribution
• Support and strengthen MPC
• Solar lift irrigation and solar multiple use water system (MUS) construction
• Exposure visit
• After nursery management training farmers are producing vegetables and consuming fresh and nutritious vegetable which was generally not in practice before. They are also generating income by selling seedlings.
• Linkage and partnership between the project and stakeholders has been increased after consultation meeting. Now they are jointly conducting program in the field.
• After mentha sucker development training, farmers are able to get income from selling the sucker which is a new variety for the community.
• Total 56 participants were participated in agro technology training-demonstration of citronella from different groups and the result from this training is in two CFUG. They had got very good production of this crop and this was very new crop for the community.
• Maintenance of 68 MIT has been done, which were not in use, although the budget allocation is very less in this activity, after maintenance they are in operating for irrigation and some farmers are doing commercialized vegetable production.
BASE has been working in the field of disaster since long with the objective to ensure the protection during disaster of the most vulnerable groups of the community such as women, children, the elderly people and the disabled, to increase knowledge of children and community people on local level disaster risk, increased skill and capacity of children on coping from local level disaster, organized community for disaster preparedness and response through groups and networks at local and VDC level, to prepare contingency plan and to reduced risk from local level identified hazards through mitigation activities.
Trainings: protection and WASH training: BASE has organized protection and WASH training to disaster prone area community people, youth club members, BASE executive committee members, school children and district disaster response committee members to enhance their skills on protection during and after the disaster. Similarly they are trained on water sanitation and hygiene to protect them from epidemic disasters. Disaster risk reduction training: The training is organized for community people, school teachers, students, SMC/PTA, parents to enhance their skills on disaster risk reduction, mapping hazards and to assess the vulnerability of the concerned community and schools. Light search and rescue training: The members from the community and school based rescue team are formed and trained to mobilize them for the rescue in case of disaster. The teams are supported with the equipments like, life jacket, boat; rescue rope, helmet, first aid materials and others rescue materials. First aid training: The training is organized for community people, school teachers, students, SMC/PTA, parents to enhance their skills to provide first aid services during disaster within the respective schools and communities.
Water point renovation support: During the rainy season, the community people from the flood affected area remains compel to drink impure water. Due to this reason some community people suffer from diarrhea and other diseases. So, realizing the fact BASE provides water tap/tube well renovation support
Disaster contingency plan: BASE provide its technical support to DDRC, VDRMC, school management to prepare district contingency plan, VDC level disaster risk management plan and school safety plan
FCHV mobilization: BASE mobilizes female community health volunteers to sensitize community people and children on water sanitation and hygiene practices and to aware them about the importance of washing hands with soap, water purifying methods and others related issues.
Mitigation works: BASE has been conducting mitigation works such as river train, bio-engineering, with the support of community and local government in the disaster affected areas.
Advocacy and awareness: To raise awareness and sensitize school children about the disaster, different competitions such as drawing, quiz, essay writing competitions are organized in schools. Similarly community and school children are oriented on simulation activities in case of fire, flood and earthquake.
- After the community people are sensitize about the emergency support that they may need after the disaster, they have managed emergency fund (cash and kind) to address the situation in case of disaster.
- Local government (VDC) has started to allocate emergency fund for disaster risk management activities from the VDC budget
- Some communities and schools are in the access of immediate rescue and response as well as first aid services through the project interventions.
- The community people especially from the flood affected area are in the access of pure drinking water and the epidemic disaster is found to be reduced after the support of water point renovation support.
To eliminate the illiteracy from its working areas, BASE has been implementing education program in different districts since its establishment. BASE started its work in education with the slogan “First Sight on Education”.
BASE has been working in formal and non-formal education area since its establishment as well as providing infrastructure supports. BASE focuses on quality education and child friendly teaching learning practices.
Formal Education: Under formal education, BASE has been providing scholarship support, teacher trainings, coaching, tuition class, learning center, Material, library support, reading promotion campaign, school enrollment campaign, SMC/PTA training, exposure visits, family and community engagement, Advocacy and lobby
Scholarship support: BASE has been providing scholarship support to those children that are bereaved from education facility. BASE has been providing school uniform, stationary, school bag, under this support. Teacher training: To, ensure the quality in education at school and to enable teacher to teach in child friendly and child centered teaching learning process, the teachers are provided teacher trainings. Coaching, tuition, learning center: BASE has been organizing coaching, tuition and learning center to improve the learning achievement of the children. The participants of the classes are selected coordinating with the school administrative and measuring their learning levels. Material support: Similarly, to improve the learning achievement of the students and to attract them towards schools, different materials such as carpet, mats, furniture, stationary, library support are provided to schools. Campaigns: To aware parents and community people about the importance of education and to enroll the children in ECD and other classes, BASE has been organizing different campaigns such as reading promotion campaign, school enrollment campaigns. SMC/PTA training, exposure visits: Likewise to uplift the capacity of SMC, PTA, teachers, parents, BASE has been organizing SMC/PTA training and education exposure visits. Advocacy/lobby and Family and community engagement: To support for the quality in education at schools, family and community members are aware and their involvement is increased through lobby and advocacy.
Non-Formal Education: Under non-formal education, BASE has been providing support on, adult literacy class; reflect class, preparatory class, SEEP, alternative class, literacy campaign
Adult literacy: BASE has been organizing adult literacy class especially for 15-49 aged illiterate people with the objective to literate them in health, sanitation, environment conservation, human rights, child rights, income generation and aware them about the importance of education. After the participation of the class the participants make their issue based plan and move forward to implement in action organizing groups. Reflect class: In reflect class issue based discussion is held in the community and they make a plan to overcome the issue and address it. Preparatory class: In order to enroll dropped out and out of school children in formal education, preparatory class are conducted for less than 18 years children targeting specially for Ex-Kamaiya children and child labors. They are taught for 4-5 months according to their age and level and enrolled them to formal education according to their learning level. SEEP class: To literate the illiterate or neo literate children aged between 14-18 years and to engage them in employment – self employment education program (SEEP) is organized. Alternative class: Similarly under alternative class 8-14 years children that are out of school are taught for three years according to the curriculum developed by the Nepal government and admitted them in school in class five or six testing their learning level. Literacy campaign: To eradicate illiteracy and to raise awareness about the importance of education illiteracy campaigns are organized. Likewise with the joint effort of Nepal government, literacy campaign is organized for the people over 15 years of age where they participate in three months’ class and mobilize them for income generation activities.
Infrastructure Support: Under infrastructure support, BASE has been providing support on school building construction, class room, door windows, floor maintenance, toilet construction, library room construction, drinking water tank construction, community building constriction. The support is provided coordinating with the district education office and respective resource persons. The support is provided identifying the actual need of the school and ensuring the involvement of the community people.
- Community ownership and their involvement towards schools have been increased.
- The conflict among SMC and PTA members have been mitigated after they are familiar about their respective role and responsibilities
- Practice of teaching through preparing lesson Plan in child friendly and child centered approach has been increased on teachers after participating the training
- Different kinds of learning materials have been developed by parents using local resources and provided to ECD centers (Chhitwa, bucket, berra, mobile phone, Jato,)
- Some out of school children never been to school has been enrolled to schools through Learning center
- Reading materials especially for early grades have been developed in mother tongue in the participation of community people
- Reading habit and learning achievement of children has been increased through library and OLC support
- Literacy rate of the working area has been increased through non-formal education