Women Empowerment and Economic Development
Women Empowerment and Economic Development is one of the major themes of BASE. BASE has been implementing various activities to empower women and improve their economic status since its establishment. BASE has formed Women Awareness Committee (WAC) as a sister organization with the aim of creating awareness and empowerment of marginalized and indigenous women. The board members of the WAC committee are from seven working districts in the mid and far western region including Dang, Banke, Bardiya, Kailali, Kanchanpur, Surkhet and Salyan. The committee formed district level women’s awareness networks in each of its functioning districts. Likewise, BASE has formed Woman Groups and Self Help Groups (SHGs) in target community of its working area.
The Woman Awareness Committee, Women Groups, Women Income Generation Group and Self Help Groups have been mobilized to increase women and girls’ access to education through formal and non-formal classes; for economic development through income generation activities, to stop girls being used as child labourers and stop girls and women being trafficked. Similarly, they have been mobilized to increase women and girls access to decision making bodies; to develop the leadership skills of girls and women; to stop gender-based violations and educate women and girls in reproductive health; and to raise a voice against the kamlahari system. Moreover, the groups also initiate for natural resource management and environment conservation. They organize road sanitation campaign, toilet construction campaign, drinking water resource cleaning program, tree plantation program, bio gas and ICS making, initiate for Open Defecation Free Village (ODF) and organize meeting and interaction with Community Forest User Group (CFUG) for conservation of forest. The Women Groups and Women Awareness Committee organize a series of meetings at district and central levels, and participate in different awareness activities organized by government and non-governmental organizations for women’s rights, child rights, kamlahari abolition and raise voice against gender discrimination and domestic violence.
BASE organizes various types of capacity building trainings for empowerment of women like; vocational skill training, gender training, leadership management and good governance training, saving credit and record keeping training, organic agriculture farming training, natural resource management training, behaviour change and communication training and different interaction, meeting and workshop. BASE also enhances capacity of women groups about their rights, role and accountability towards community and natural resources like water, forest and land.
Similarly, BASE has been implementing various economic development activities for its beneficiaries. These activities are generally related to income generation activities for women, freed kamaiya families, conflict affected family and flood affected family. BASE encourages women groups to do regular group saving and support to establish cooperatives at local level for making financial access of women in nominal interest rate. Woman groups are also doing regular saving in group and mobilizing the saving amount as loan for income generation activities like grocery shop, vegetable farming, pig raising, goat raising, poultry farming, fish farming and banana farming.
BASE provides to women various types of skill development training, vocational training, record keeping training, kitchen gardening training, saving and credit management training, herbal and essential oil crop production training and demonstration, marketing management training, organic vegetable farming training so that they can start their own business to generate small income which support to uplift their economic status. BASE also acknowledges to women groups about provision of service and schemes of local service providers like VDC, health post, agriculture service centre, livestock service centre, forest office, post office and cooperatives and empowers to women groups to make linkage and cop those opportunities. In the same, BASE also empower to women to involve in local level decision making body to make their access for positive influence in the decision making process.
• Women’s conference
• Awareness campaign
• Leadership management and good governance training
• Gender awareness training
• Literacy class conduction
• Entrepreneurship development training
• Vocational skill training
• Agriculture training in natural resource management and irrigation
• Support to establish cooperative
• Marketing management and analysis training
• Record keeping and saving & credit management training
• Briquette production by women group for commercial purpose
• Plantation of tube wells in the communities
• Exposure visit
• Confidence build up as well as feeling of unity has been developed among woman- Women have united in group, being self dependent initiating for social work like toilet construction campaign, road maintenance and cleaning, street drama demonstration, home visit for awareness on health/sanitation.
• Women are self motivated and participated in Open Defecation Free (ODF) and toilet construction campaign, street drama demonstration, community building construction, drinking water resources and environment sanitation, voluntarily support in health camp etc.
• Women are empowered through different meeting/interaction, training, literacy session, day celebration and the linkage between woman groups and local service provider like VDCs, health institutions, Area Agriculture Service Centre, Forest user groups, local cooperatives and veterinary has been increased. Now they are able to taking services from the concern line agencies.
• Women are doing regular group saving and disbursing the saving amount as loan for income generation activities and generating incomes.
• Women of project area became able for properly reading, writing and solve simple subtraction, addition, multiplication and division and using their knowledge and skill for management of their household work, selling and buying their daily needs etc.
• After getting agriculture training in natural resource management and irrigation, women have started to prepare compost manure and organic pesticide by locally available resources and using in their farms. They are also teaching and transferring their skill to the other members of their community.
• Women have been doing advocacy and lobbying for community level domestic violence and gender issues.